pain patches

By theperilsofbev Latest Activity March 26, 2012 at 10:27 am Views 1,600 Replies 32 Likes 2

theperilsofbev

I've been hearing that duralgesic patches are not good. i have been on fentanyl for some timw and now im worrid, anybody else heard of this?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (32 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • cregomom
    cregomom June 21, 2012 at 6:03 pm   

I've been on the patches for quite a while. Yes, they can be dangerous, but it's usually for those that aren't taking them as prescribed (putting more than what they are supposed to on, or even doing things like chewing them!). The patches really do help me… they definitely don't take away all my pain, but at least I can function somewhat. My main problem is that they don't stick well! They come off in the shower, when I sweat… there are so many things that can happen! I've had my fiancee go to put them on me, and they get twisted and stick together… when that happens, I'm out the pain meds for three days! Doctors, of course, aren't going to write replacements… I want to switch to something else mainly for that reason.

• digginya
    digginya June 26, 2012 at 6:51 am   

yes, a lot of Dr's sit in judgement of those who suffer…Some Dr's play God with my meds as well and most have never had any real pain in thier lives so they can't fully empathise with us concerning pain!! We know our body better than anyone else and no one else can quantify the amount of pain we go thru. Hold your head high, take your meds as correctly as you can, and hopefully find an undestanding Dr. for your journey.

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev August 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm   

my doctor has actually had to endure a knee and a back surgery, so he can certainly empathise, I'm glad of that (not that he has had to have surgery or pain). he is an all around "regular guy", and moreover, he's patient, and actually listens! that can be a deal breaker for me. no doctor has the right to play "God", especially if he hasn't had to go through what most of us do. I think I'm pretty lucky :) he's a keeper! New med change this week - raised my dose of morphine, and it's the most relief i have had in.. oh.. I can't even remember!

• digginya
    digginya August 9, 2012 at 10:01 pm   

I feel your relief..lol…nice, huh?? A great many play GOD & most do not have any clue what a pain sufferer goes thru! Sad but true. Before this "pain nrnt" came this year, I was with a Dr. for many years who gave me more for the asking.
    I Never abused it & now I have new Dr. who won't put on what i took for 18 months. I volunteered to step down by 2 pills a day but need them now~can't get them. So after 8 yrs of no problems, i now am where you finally got away from…a constant strugle. Be careful not to re-injure…can happen when you start feeling good for first time in a long time! I'm so glad for you…

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev August 9, 2012 at 6:28 am   

I think my doc and I have found a winner here for lack of a better way to put it lol Im taking 30mg morphine 3x's a day, coupled w a muscle relaxer and an antiinflamatory. The muscle relaxer is called xanaflex and the other is naproxen. the xanaflex doesnt seem to do very well, but at least it doesn't make me CRAMP! if you can believe that! Flexeril makes me wake up in the middle of the night having to walk out cramps in my legs and feet! owwwie

• digginya
    digginya August 9, 2012 at 6:51 am   
    Edited August 9, 2012 at 6:52 am by digginya

I used to take 2 x 80mg time releasded morphine tablets but they cost $699 per month without insurance. I changed to methadone later which worked better for me. The only relaxer I can get comfort from is 10mg valium 3x a day, i didn't have any luck with the xanaflex and quit taking them after 3 months. Naproxen can cause cardiac events in some people…they are over the counter as well and I take 1-2 a day Naprosen(spelled wrong)! It sounds like you've got a combination that might benefit you for a while, i'm glad to hear it! Ohh, i think your cramps are nerve issues that flexeril coundn't handle, it does work for many but not for you or I…lol…and you do have a winner if you can sleep, eat, & have a life!! Good luck & if you start getting more cramps, drink lots of water & try valium.

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev August 9, 2012 at 9:43 pm   

I'm actually prescribed 2x 10mg valium a day! klonopin 3x's a day too. those benzodiazapams really do help, thats for sure. I've been taking them for 20+ yrs now - dont know what I'd do without them! thanks :)

• digginya
    digginya August 9, 2012 at 10:08 pm   

mostly older Dr's use this but I had to tell them what I needed…lol…right, and it never goes over to good when you tell, "God" the drugs you want or need!! Valium was used for many things but it's great for spasims. My new dr doesn't like me to use them so won't perscribe it~gotta get from my old doc but I need them…

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes June 21, 2012 at 7:13 pm   

I've gone through exactly the same thing, but for me it started 14 years ago with my first surgery. I've been in hospitals and had doctors put me into withdrawals after refusing to prescribe my normal medications, not even knowing my history. I even had one doctor tell me to "stop taking drugs and get a job". He had no idea of my surgical history or my additional 6 herniated discs-all he saw was that I was 48 and "unemployed" (waiting on my disability at that time). It's horrible that we have to be treated that way. If I don't take my meds, I can't get out of bed. What kind of life is that? I empathize with you sooo much!!

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev August 9, 2012 at 9:12 pm   

THAT my dear lady, is simply REDICULOUS! "stop taking drugs and get a job"?!!!! OMG! the audacity! Nobody should be spoken to in that manor! what an imbasile. I don't even know how I'd react to that kind of statement… that was awful, and I'm sorry that happened to you

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes May 13, 2012 at 7:58 pm   

I was on the fentanyl drip and the Actiq (fentanyl) lollipops post-op in the hospital after my fusion, and it worked wonders for the pain. When I started with this PM doc 1 3/4 years ago, he put on the patches for the first two months, but they didn't really seem to work, so I asked him to put me on something different. He switched me to long-acting morphine (MS Contin) twice a day and oxycodone every 4 hours as needed. After about 6 mos, he raised my MS Contin to three times a day, and about 2 months ago, he raised it to three times a day and one at bedtime. Because of the oxycodone shortage, he changed those to hydromorphone (Dilaudid) one every 3 hours as needed, and I've been feeling great. The problem with fentanyl is that if you're not used to being on opiates, they're stronger and can cause respiratory depression (slowing down of your breathing). They don't usually start a brand new patient on Fentanyl patches.

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev August 9, 2012 at 9:19 pm   

thats what I'm to understand about most narcotic pain relievers, is that they might cause respiratory distress. I am taking MS cotin now, 3x's a day, 30mg. but he doesnt believe in "break-through" pain! that would've been the perfect combination for me! the oxycodone made me "speed" a whole lot! I then also tried hydromorphone, but that didn't help at all. the dose was small, it made me speed, and spun me into a dimension of constant agitation like I've never seen! so out went that med. if he would give me the combo your on - life would be soooo much better!

• yoopergal
    yoopergal April 23, 2012 at 2:42 pm   

I was on the patch for a short time, and I say short because pain meds tend to make me sick, and the patch did. I had to ly down when in the car or I'd get sick, but they did help with my pain. Because Iam still working full tme I really could not take the nausea so had to stop. Do u have a pain clinic near u. If u have the coverage, that is my suggestion. Contact one and see what they have to offer for pain control. Now a days there are so many options rather then just a pill or patch. Hope this helps

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA March 31, 2012 at 9:50 pm   

HI! Thanks for taking the time to post this question. I am not a physician so I don't have a lot of insight here. But I suspect other members do! I will be interested in seeing the responses that you get. This is a great idea for a discussion.

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev March 26, 2012 at 10:36 am   

so i've read, pain medecines make a person drowsy - my oxycodone makes me extremely hyper… i have great spans between doctor visits so i don't get the chance to ask. should i try a different pill? they dont relieve the pain - and i don't really know what to ask

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes May 12, 2012 at 10:08 pm   

If the medication is not really helping your pain, try to see the PM doctor and ask him if it would be possible to switch from oxycodone to something different. Due to the oxycodone shortage, my doctor switched me to hydromorphone 8mg on the exact same schedule as the oxycodone, and although it doesn't make me sleepy, it does do a lot to help my pain.

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev August 9, 2012 at 9:21 pm   

I keep reading of an oxycodone shortage… when I was taking it, I never had a problem. hmmmm

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev May 12, 2012 at 10:16 pm   

This is perfect timing!I see my Dr. on Monday. I don't want to seem as if I'm trying to "tell him his job", any idea how I can present this to him without seeming to "know better than he"?

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes May 13, 2012 at 7:50 pm   

I would just tell him that the medication seems to make you hyperactive so much so that you are unable to sleep and ask him if there is something that he could substitute it with so that you don't have that problem. Tell him that the lack of sleep seems to be making your pain worse. I have that very problem with hydrocodone (Vicodin). It makes me hyper, so I tell them that I'm allergic to it. Just be honest with him. Tell him that you are not trying to tell him how to do his job, but that if there is something out there that he might be able to substitute without you having the same side effects, you would be really grateful. How long have you been on the same medication? They like for you to give it at least 3 months before asking to switch or increase, but most of them are pretty good about switching, especially if you're having a side effect. Lack of sleep DOES seem to make the pain worse, so that would definately be a good reason for wanting to switch to something different. Good luck with your appointment tomorrow.

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev May 19, 2012 at 1:05 am   

the appointment went well… he offered to raise the dose of the fentanyl patch! i dont want it at all! so, we discontinued that. the percocette (oxycodone) makes me so hyper i cant sleep, thereby making it impossible to take the dosage he prescribed. that med was changed to norco.. so take away fentanyl and oxycodone - sub hydrocodone! oh my!!! withdrawls like mad, and unending pain! i had to call him the following day it was so severe a change!the norco (vicodin, hydrocodone) wasnt helping at all! he prescribed the oxycodone at an increase in dosage, and scheduled me to come bk in in a few days as opposed to a few months. i just dont know what to do about the hyper vs. the weaker norco! my ideal situation would be to be allowed to use the norco in tandom w the percocette. taking the norco for break-thru pain, and at bedtime so the percocette wont keep me up *SIGH* we'll see at my app't!

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes May 19, 2012 at 7:29 pm   
    Edited May 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm by Lori Byrnes

Have you tried taking anything for sleep? I take Trazadone (which is a non-narcotic), and it lets me sleep through the night without having to take something for pain in the middle of the night. What is the reason for not wanting to use the Fentanyl patches? I know you said you were worried because you had heard bad things about them, but if you use them properly and they help your pain, they are great for keeping a constant level of pain medication in your system with minimal chance of overdose. The people who I've cared for who overdosed on them actually cut them open and licked out the gel all at once (3 days worth), and one guy actually swallowed the patch. If the percocet helps the pain but you can't sleep, see if he will write you something to help sleep. It doesn't have to be a narcotic-like I said, Trazadone works wonders, but he may want you to get it from your GP. Taking Norco and Percocet in tandem is not a good idea because they are both short acting meds. You need to be on one long-acting (like MS Contin or the Fentanyl patches, and then maybe the Norco for your "as needed" pain in between the long acting doses.) Whatever he prescribes, I hope it works out for you. You definately cannot come of something as strong as Fentanyl and go straight to Norco without getting horrible withdrawals and he should have known that. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev May 30, 2012 at 12:31 am   

my psych doctor gives me a host of meds to basically knock me out! they double as what i call my "fat pills". i have a really hard time keeping weight on… i'm 5'10" and i'm goin down again… about 132# right now :( gonna have to keep takin them

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes May 30, 2012 at 5:26 pm   

I hope you've been able to get prescribed something for pain that works for you. Despite my 2 back surgeries, then being rear-ended by someone going 75 in a 50mph zone (4 car pile-up) causing an additional 6 disc herniations, every time I go to a doctor and they look at my medications, they act like I'm nothing but a drug addict. I even had a trial of a spinal cord stimulator last week, and it didn't help at all. When the shortage of oxycodone came around here in Florida, I had to get my as needed med switch to hydromorphone, and I feel better than I have in the last 4 years. My doctor is wonderful-he always gives me a big hug when I see him and has never been rude when I've told him the meds aren't working anymore. I hope you can find someone who will work like that for you-it just takes some juggling to reach a happy medium where the meds are concerned (enough to help the pain but not so much as to knock you out or make you feel "high".).

I wish I had a problem keeping weight on. I can't keep it off, but I have hypothyroidism, and they're adjusting my medications. That should help a lot.

Good luck with your pain mgmt and I hope you're feeling better.

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev August 9, 2012 at 9:25 pm   

I so understand about the "when they look at my meds" thing - I'm made to feel like a legalized JUNKY! what is THAT about? sometimes, i think, that the doctors are so far removed from the actuality of our pain they just simply don't get it. Truly I do.

• cregomom
    cregomom June 21, 2012 at 6:00 pm   

I am soooo tired of doctors judging me when they see what meds I am on for pain! I went six years with a herniated disk… docs didn't believe me, because I was 'too young' to be in such pain, so I had to be 'drug seeking'! They finally did the MRI, and I was in surgery a month later… which, of course, didn't help! All of the media attention on those that abuse meds, or sell them, of course, makes the doctors more leery of prescribing meds, even to those of us who do take them as prescribed. I just lost my doc a couple months ago, when he quit taking my insurance. I got a new doc at the school of medicine, saw him twice, and he moved out of state. Saw the second new doc a few days ago, first thing he said was, 'you're too young to be on all these meds, i'm going to get you off them'. He said I needed to see a psychiatrist because I'm on too much pain medicine! Ok, well, I'm fine with seeing a psych, I already go to therapy every week, but the way he said it was sooo judgemental. The major cause of my depression and anxiety is my health issues, and having to deal with such judgemental doctors. I mean my life is, literally, in their hands. I have no quality of life without pain meds… so what gives?

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev August 9, 2012 at 9:33 pm   

wow. that sums it up, just WOW. I also have a psych doc.. this much pain can spin anybody into a realm of depression that is unbelievable! I as well suffer from bipolar disorder,, with a host of "sub" categories… I know how I feel. Both of my doctors are really decent human beings, so in that respect I'm pretty lucky. however, my PM doc isn't very free with my medication. this new switch to a higher dose of MS cotin would be just great if he would be willing to give me something for the break-thru pain - to which he doesn't believe in :(

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev June 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm   

my doc. has tried me on 3 new things since then via nurse practitioner, no app't available. he is very familiar w my case and gave ME some CHOICES… (like I'm familiar w all these medications!), 1 was to go from 25mcg Fentanyl to 100! NO.. I don't want that medicine at all! apparently that escaped him. second, I tried 1000 Norco *SIGH* might as well havebounced an aspirin off my head! but it didnt make me hyper… came bk in to be given MORE choices… Hydro-morphone, or extended release morphine. hydromorphone is Dilaudid (sp?) 5 x day, put me in a CONSTANT state of aggitation like I've never seen before… called bk this time. opted for the stupid morphine. now, this medicine is working GREAT! both for pain management and non-hyper issues. however, 3 x day @ 15mg. isn't sufficient! i still don't know how to approach the doctor to tell him how to do his job. 3 out of the 7 aunts i have (RN's for 30+yrs) suggested opama. oxymorphone. the oxy vs hydro has a pattern here. norco is hydro, and percocette is oxy. given all the info i provided them, they said that opama (name brand, don't know the generic name) would highly benefit me. i DID mention that when i called… but of course my suggestion wasn't taken. morphine it is then. i really, really do need a 4th pill tho :( 3 helps tremendously, but 4 a day - i would be The most pain-free i have been since i can remember, i do feel when the pills are wearing off, so that tells me i need a 4th. i am calling again tomorrow… both to tell him the "good news", that this 1 helps, but i am definately gonna mention that 4th pill! wow guys, i'm so so glad i stumbled upon this site! you've all been so great to me! thanks bunches :)

• catroter53
    catroter53 April 23, 2012 at 3:10 pm   

hi ,, i have been on a rollercoster with my pain for 10 years due to a work related accident,,,i have chronic pain on my low back and left foot, right foot, mr. arthritis visit everday, lol and much more. i had been on norco, vicodin,ultram,, lidoderm patches,, which they did help but not 100 %,, i have a new pain manager doctor who for the first time listen to me,, and being on workers comp and seeing their doctors, they just prescribe meds. that dont cost alot for them and not really dealing with your pain or what anyone goes through. im now on nucynta ,, i take 1 tablet every fives hours, ( 2 a day), because i found out with this doctor i have nerve damaged on my low back,, this drug is simmular to morphine, and for me its nice to to feel normal,,plus he gave me a inflamation medication also , and muscle spasms meds,,,

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev May 19, 2012 at 1:07 am   

i've written down the name of this medicine, and i intend to ask him about it. sounds like it might be a really god option for me :) thanks for the suggestion!

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev May 12, 2012 at 10:21 pm   

Wow, thanks! These 2 suggestions of different medicines both sound like they might be good alternatives for me :) but I'm not sure how to a ask without seeming like

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes May 13, 2012 at 8:02 pm   

Don't ask for a specific medication or the doctor will think you're drug seeking. You have to make it sound like the medication is giving you a problem (sleeplessness and hyperactivity) and let him choose what to substitute it with. He won't give you something weaker than you're already on and some doctors have specific medications that they prefer to use. If you put it to him that way, he has a legitimate reason to change your medications and he won't think badly of you.

• theperilsofbev
    theperilsofbev May 19, 2012 at 1:09 am   

i appreciate that! my appointment the other day i did just that. went to a much lessor pain releiver, and was suffering badly to the point i had to call! he re-prescribed percocette, and scheduled an appointment for me next week… wish me luck - they're has got to be a happy medium in there somewhere!